Try our ultimate version of this golden oldie.
The ingredient of Fish and chips with tartare sauce
- 4 x 400g large sebago potatoes or coliban potatoes, scrubbed, patted dry
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- Cornflour, to dust
- 8 x 120g flathead fillets, skinned, pin-boned
- Lemon cheeks, to serve
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 150ml olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 150ml grapeseed oil (see note)
- 1 drop Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsp baby capers, roughly chopped
- 45g (1/4 cup) finely chopped cornichons (small gherkins)
- 1 small eschalot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chervil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 125g plain flour
- 125g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 375ml Coopers Sparkling Ale, (see note) chilled
The instruction how to make Fish and chips with tartare sauce
- To make tartare sauce Process egg yolks, mustard and 1 teaspoon salt in a food processor until combined. With the motor running, gradually add olive oil, drop by drop at first, then in a thin, steady stream until thick and emulsified. Add half the lemon juice, then gradually add grape seed oil and process until emulsified. Transfer to an airtight container and stir in the remaining lemon juice and ingredients until combined. Refrigerate tartare sauce until needed or for up to 5 days.
- To make beer batter: Sift flours with 1 teaspoon salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre, add oil, then gradually pour in beer, whisking and drawing in flour until thick; donu2019t worry if there are lumps. Stand for 20 minutes.
- To cook chips: Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with oil. Heat to 140C (or until small bubbles form when a wooden spoon is dipped into the oil). Cut potatoes lengthwise into 1cm-thick slices, then cut slices into 1cm-wide chips. Pat dry with paper towel. Fry chips, in 2 batches, turning, for 4 minutes or until cooked but not coloured. Drain on paper towel. Set aside for up to 3 hours. Reserve oil.
- Heat frying oil to 180C (or until a spoonful of batter sizzles). Fry chips, in 3 batches, turning, for 5 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towel. Place on an oven tray lined with baking paper and keep warm in a low oven.
- To cook fish and to serve Heat frying oil to 180C (or until a spoonful of batter sizzles). Scatter a little cornflour on a plate. Dust a piece of fish n cornflour, then, holding it at the tail end, coat in batter and lower gently into oil. Repeat with 3 more pieces of fish and fry for 3 minutes, turning halfway, or until golden. Drain on paper towel. Transfer fish to the lined tray and keep warm in oven.
- Using a slotted metal spoon, remove any bits of batter from oil. Repeat with remaining fish, cornflour and batter.
- Remove fish and chips from oven and season with salt. Serve immediately with lemon wedges and tartare sauce.
Nutritions of Fish and chips with tartare saucecalories: