Give your hearty pumpkin soup a fresh twist by adding fennel, chilli and prawns.
The ingredient of Pumpkin and fennel soup with chilli prawns
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, fronds reserved, coarsely chopped
- 1kg butternut pumpkin, seeded, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups (500ml) salt-reduced chicken or vegetable stock
- 12 raw prawns, peeled leaving tails intact, deveined
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped fennel fronds
- 60g pkt Coles Australian Baby Rocket
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red birdseye chilli, seeded, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tbsp finely grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
The instruction how to make Pumpkin and fennel soup with chilli prawns
- Heat half the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and fennel. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until onion softens. Add pumpkin, stock and 2 cups (500ml) water. Bring to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, for 30 mins or until pumpkin is tender. Set aside to cool slightly. Use a stick blender to carefully blend until smooth. Season.
- Meanwhile, to make the parsley and fennel pesto, process the parsley, fennel fronds, rocket, garlic, chilli, pine nuts and parmesan in a food processor until finely chopped. With the motor running, add the oil in a thin, steady stream. Season.
- Combine prawns, chilli and remaining oil in a bowl. Season with pepper. Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Cook prawns, turning occasionally, for 2 mins or until prawns curl and change colour.
- Ladle soup evenly among serving bowls. Drizzle with pesto. Top with prawns and reserved fennel fronds.
Nutritions of Pumpkin and fennel soup with chilli prawnscalories: 545.637 calories
calories: 35 grams fat
calories: 6 grams saturated fat
calories: 24 grams carbohydrates
calories: 19 grams sugar
calories: 31 grams protein
calories: 1575 milligrams sodium