Full of flavour, this freekeh risotto is a perfect meal for the family. The crispy sage leaves are perfect with the caramelised pumpkin.
The ingredient of Freekeh and pumpkin risotto
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 25g butter
- 700g butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
- 500ml (2 cups) Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 185ml (3/4 cup) water
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g cracked freekeh
- 125ml (1/2 cup) dry white wine
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 80g low-fat feta, crumbled
- Chopped butter, extra, to serve (optional)
The instruction how to make Freekeh and pumpkin risotto
- Heat the oil and butter in a large, heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Cook the pumpkin, stirring, for 8 minutes or until golden. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a bowl.
- Add sage to the pan. Cook, turning, for 1 minute or until crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- Combine the stock and water in a heatproof bowl. Microwave on High for 2 minutes or until hot.
- Add the onion and celery to the pan and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Stir in the freekeh for 1 minute or until coated. Add the wine. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until absorbed. Add a ladleful (about 1u20443 cup) of the stock mixture. Stir until absorbed.
- Continue adding stock, 1 ladleful at a time, stirring constantly until liquid is absorbed, for 18-20 minutes or until the freekeh is tender yet firm to the bite, and adding pumpkin and lemon juice in the last 12 minutes of cooking time. Season. Sprinkle with feta and fried sage leaves. Top with extra butter, if using.
Nutritions of Freekeh and pumpkin risottocalories: 457.685 calories
calories: 17 grams fat
calories: 7 grams saturated fat
calories: 47 grams carbohydrates
calories: 21 grams protein