Seasonal passionfruit makes a sensational topping for this luscious banana and nut tart.
The ingredient of Banana tartlets with passionfruit sauce
- 1/2 cup toasted macadamia nuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 50g butter, melted
- 4 bananas
- Thick cream, to serve
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 12 passionfruit, flesh removed
The instruction how to make Banana tartlets with passionfruit sauce
- To make the sauce, place the sugar and 1 cup water in a saucepan over low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Increase the heat to high and boil for 5 minutes. While the sugar syrup is boiling, place the passionfruit flesh in a food processor and pulse for a few seconds (this helps separate the flesh from the seeds). Add the flesh and seeds to the syrup and cook for a further 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To make the tartlets, preheat the oven to 180u00b0C. Grease a baking sheet.
- Place the nuts and 4 tablespoons sugar in a bowl and mix well.
- Lay one sheet of filo on a workbench, brush with some melted butter, then sprinkle with about 1/2 tablespoon of the nut and sugar mixture. Repeat with the remaining filo, butter and nuts until you have a pile of 6 layers. Use a 10cm pastry cutter to cut out 6 rounds from the pastry, discarding any excess. Place the 6 pastry stacks on the greased baking sheet. Cover the stacks with a piece of baking paper, then place a slightly smaller baking tray on top to weigh the pastries down. Bake for 15 minutes until lightly golden and crisp.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Slice the bananas into thin diagonal slices and fan out on top of each pastry disc. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar. Grill for 1-2 minutes until the bananas have charred slightly and the sugar has caramelised. (Alternatively use a kitchen blow torch.) Place each banana tartlet on a serving plate. Serve with a dollop of cream and passionfruit sauce. Excess sauce will keep for up to 1 week refrigerated, and tastes terrific served over ice-cream.
Nutritions of Banana tartlets with passionfruit saucecalories: