This beef main doesnt only look and taste delicious, its low in sodium and high in iron too.
The ingredient of Red wine-poached beef with plum salad
- 750ml good-quality dry red wine
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 bunches spring onions (8 bulbs), trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1.2kg whole beef eye fillet, trimmed
- 4 black plums
- 1kg baby potatoes, halved (quartered if large)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 60g butter, chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 200g beetroot salad leaves
- 50g pecorino pepato, shaved
The instruction how to make Red wine-poached beef with plum salad
- Place wine, thyme, peppercorns, onion, stock, bay leaves, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 1/2 cups water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Tie beef with string at 4cm intervals. Add to wine mixture with plums (beef should be submerged). Cook for 10 minutes for rare (see notes). Transfer beef, plums and onions to a plate. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook wine mixture over medium heat for 20 minutes or until reduced by half. Strain through a fine sieve over a jug.
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Toss potato and 1/2 the oil in a large bowl. Season. Place on tray. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook beef, turning, for 5 minutes or until charred. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil. Stand for 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in the same frying pan over medium heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Reduce heat to low. Gradually add wine mixture, stirring, until sauce bubbles and thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Add remaining sugar, to taste.
- Place salad leaves on a platter. Peel plums and cut into wedges. Halve onions. Arrange on salad leaves. Sprinkle with pecorino. Serve salad with beef and wine sauce.
Nutritions of Red wine-poached beef with plum saladcalories: 540.14 calories
calories: 21.4 grams fat
calories: 8.9 grams saturated fat
calories: 25.9 grams carbohydrates
calories: 40.2 grams protein
calories: 105 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 440 milligrams sodium