Traditional beef cannelloni is given a gluten-free make-over in this low-fat rice paper version.
The ingredient of Beef and oregano cannelloni with tomato sauce
- 250g lean beef mince
- 20g (1/4 cup) fresh gluten-free breadcrumbs (made from day-old gluten-free bread)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat milk
- 2 green shallots, ends trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 2 1/2 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 16 round (21.5cm-diameter) rice-paper sheets
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, halved, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 x 400g can diced tomatoes
- 80ml (1/3 cup) water
- 1 small fresh red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
The instruction how to make Beef and oregano cannelloni with tomato sauce
- To make the tomato sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the tomato, water, chilli, vinegar and sugar and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
- Meanwhile, to make the cannelloni, combine the mince, breadcrumbs, egg, milk, green shallot, oregano, garlic and 1 tablespoon of the parsley in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Soak a rice-paper sheet in a large dish of warm water for 30 seconds or until soft and pliable (dont leave the rice-paper sheet in the water too long or it will become fragile and tear). Drain on paper towel and transfer to a clean work surface. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the beef mixture down the centre of the rice-paper sheet. Fold in ends and roll up firmly to enclose filling. Place cannelloni, seam-side down, in a large bamboo steamer basket. Repeat with the remaining rice-paper sheets and beef mixture.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil over high heat. Cover steamer basket and place over the pan. Steam cannelloni for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Use tongs to transfer the cannelloni to serving plates.
- Spoon tomato sauce over the cannelloni. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley and serve immediately.
Nutritions of Beef and oregano cannelloni with tomato saucecalories: 299.945 calories
calories: 6.5 grams fat
calories: 2 grams saturated fat
calories: 40 grams carbohydrates
calories: 20 grams protein